Originally the Mansion House for a very large estate Kirroughtree House was owned by the same family for over 300 years and was a family home up until the 1940's although the Forestry Commission acquired most of the farms and land in the 1930's through to the 1940's. In 1946 it was turned into a luxury hotel and has been operating that way through to November 2017 when it was closed due to falling demand for a luxury hotel providing five-star service and employing only local residents.
Kirroughtree House stands in 8 acres of its own gardens which include a continuously flowing burn and tributaries, woodland and lawns. There are areas of rhododendrons and other flowers and flowering shrubs with snowdrops and daffodils in season.
It is situated 1 mile from the centre of the old market town of Newton Stewart in Wigtownshire in South West Scotland. The Newton Stewart Golf Course is adjacent. The Main House has 15 ensuite guest rooms some very large, and two ensuite staff rooms. In the connected section on the main floor, there is a boardroom and an associated Bedroom, with a separate suite on the ground floor.
The house as seen today was developed in the early 1700's through to the early 1900's. Further continuing improvements have been made since it was turned into a Hotel with a lift being added in the 1990's. There are four floors and an attic which used to be the servants quarters.
The central internal feature is the central ballroom with formal staircase and dining and sitting rooms adjacent. It has a large well-equipped kitchen washroom servery and laundry with their own entry. Public toilets ladies, gents and disabled. There is also a disabled ensuite guest room.
Bitumen parking area in front of Hotel and a gravel parking area behind.
- Close to Local Amenities
- With Car Park
- Offers Invited
- Fully Fitted
- Potential for Alternative Use
- With Accommodation